Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Playin With Feet Wife

A Wreck on the ground (Bow to the wind, head to sea, Proa to Canaveral)


I miss the Proa at Canaveral. Some time ago it was a great well-known restaurant in Valparaiso that the years were left behind. But suddenly reemerged as a captive of the Bohemian life. His nights were made famous in the city but along with that, also began a recovery in its category restaurant.

timidly began to haunt him day and I discovered that his concept sailors tied to the imagery of the port. Its decoration was anchored to old marine devices, a large exhibition of articles, ropes, barrels, and the intimidating atmosphere of real place. Not only its decorative objects were related to fishing activity, but those who worked there had been linked to the sea. The place was not lying. It was a deep and honest truth.

I began to get a manager Pedro Iglesias, captain's hat and pipe, affable and warm welcome. The I started talking about the organization that had Proa. It main deck spoke, referring to her room, deck and steerage to the first floor. He also explained where they came from all objects that were exhibited there. As he told me, was foreman of the training ship Esmeralda and was aware of each of the names that make up the masts of tall ships. With some models in its library taught me the complicated nomenclature of masts, sails, and sleeve lengths, port and starboard, fore and aft. Not for nothing was known to frequent the place as "The Captain"

I started to take my group of passengers to bow and the effect, after a walk in Valparaiso was shocking. Travelers congratulated me because they had come to a place of truth, not a model, not a stage. If you wanted a local place deeply, because there you had and from their windows, while dining and drinking, you could see the port and its activity. They were also guests, characters typical of the sector that had washed up on the Bow for its originality. No missing "girls" who always traffic in the neighborhood. Valparaiso in full. Bohemian atmosphere with its mystique to the brink of danger, at the border, the famous and feared seafood Buenos Aires bohemia.

The arrival at the place with my passengers began to have certain rituals that caused a great effect. Climbing by their scales and appeared as Captain, my group stopped and sonorous voice and ceremonious said: "Captain, request permission to address" Then Peter answered: "Permission granted." Always a big hug and greetings of friendship to all who worked there and the faces of thrill of all passengers so outdated solemnity.

have seen a Dutch dance cueca?? Well, with local musicians will sing the Jewel of the Pacific, boleros, Peruvian waltzes, tangos and of course we started to dance cueca and even danced with Captain Cook. Then took out the ball to passengers, without any fear, dance adapt our local customers while climbing on tables to pat the bravery of the "gringo" or "gringa" de rigueur. It was in those moments where replicábamos practically calcábamos old marine atmosphere of the bohemian mixed with foreigners and Chileans each other, trying to understand signs in bad English and bad English.

Because

called "Proa al Canaveral, Pedro??

I answered the Captain: The owner had the original founder occurrence that if this restaurant was really a boat, its bow facing north sail in a straight line just to get "Cape Canaveral "in the U.S.. I could not stop laughing and when I remember the creative genius still makes me laugh. A good place must have stories to tell and the Bow, from the barrels that served as desks, through articles and ornaments from boats, scuba diving, navigation maps papering the walls, huge paintings depicting place, to the old piano out of tune, everything seemed to invite all winks here for you to sit by his side to hear their stories, to call at a table to set sail in the stories.

there also spent entire afternoons talking with my good friend. Sustaining local was nothing easy, no I always arrived with tourists, there was very often and not enough customers. With all the magic that was also the fact the account was wrong. Visit pirates only pirate bars. Although the nights were lively and several generations of the university became a pin, which provided dance night held no so the restaurant did not produce. The Proa sailing heeled always a heavy burden and impossible to cut. For an ocean

is much easier to deal with a storm to stay adrift. When just the wind and the sails do not swell, the ship is not moving and everything is stopped, paused, aimlessly.

Finally the wrecked Proa and closed and we sailed it landed us to add new routes in our charts. It has re-opened as an evening partying, but the restaurant remains closed.

I do not like going to the nostalgia for writing from her, in Valparaiso is a hackneyed action which usually falls on the topic of "All the past was better" concept to flee or at least looked at with suspicion, it holds a certain immobility, lethargy and listlessness that I dislike. However, I have not stopped thinking about this place and remember your porteñísimo environment.

My longing is a starting point. Bicentennial Regatta we could enjoy the beautiful sailboats docked in the port and its beautiful navigation farewell in front of the city. I was lucky enough to navigate through this parade of yachts and as I did and I enjoyed it, thought I should write something about this event. Only my mind was writing any articles about the race and if, wrapped in memories of the Proa al Canaveral talks on sailboats and the lessons that the captain gave me the names of the various elements that make up the rigging.

I not been a good student, usually end up confusing the names of the rags, jib, gaff, scandalous and the sticks, ratchets, and mizzen, and also a few sailboats as Europe and Sagres.

How well would have been enjoying the sailboats from the windows of the restaurant, then show them all together to discuss the details and differences.

Where will the "crew" of Proa?? No idea. Just know that Captain Pedro Iglesias Andean pampas tides changed and now works in the mines of the northern desert. But if it appear by the door looking for a sailing crew to bohemia, I am ready to embark.

Captain, permission to board.

Leo Silva

0 comments:

Post a Comment